8 pound extra lean ground beef
4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 pound yellow onions, chopped
2 pound baby carrots, chopped fine
2 garlic bulbs, chopped (not minced)
8 can diced tomatoes ((28 oz / 769 ml) )
3 can stewed tomatoes ((28 oz / 769 ml) )
3 can tomato paste ((12 oz / 369 ml) )
2 can tomato sauce ((24 oz / 680 ml) )
4 can tomato soup
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
3 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Cholula)
5 tablespoon dried oregano
3 tablespoon dried basil
2 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
2 teaspoon dried sage
3 teaspoon celery salt
2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
6 tablespoon white sugar
1. In a giant stock pot, add all the can contents, including all fluids.
2. Fry up half the meat (in 2 or more batches) in order to get some good consistency to the sauce.
3. Add cooked and the raw ground beef to the pot.
4. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots to the pot.
5. Add all the herbs and sugar to the pot.
6. Simmer on "Low" all day, at least 6 - 8 hours.
* This sauce is always better the next day. Avoid serving on pasta on Day 1 if you can.
* That said, I have a baguette beside the stove that I tear pieces off and dunk in the sauce as I snack and sample all day long. :-)
* In previous batches I have added 4 green peppers and it was fine, I just don't much care for green peppers.
* I make this twice a year.