1/2 cup sea salt (coarse)
1/2 can peppercorn blend (red, white and black)
1/4 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup coriander seeds
1/4 cup granulated onion (or onion flakes)
1/4 cup dill weed
1 teaspoon chili powde
1. Preheat fry pan on medium heat, add whole peppercorns. Heat whole peppercorns for a few mins until the aroma comes up. Don't heat them too long - if you burn them they'll be bitter.
2. Mix the still heated peppercorns, mustard seed, and coriander seed in a mixing bowl.
3. Lightly grind the ingredients currently in the mixing bowl in a spice grinder. You want to break up the whole spices but not pulverize them. I use two quick hits on the grinder in batches until the contents of the bowl have been broken up.
4. You need to break up the peppercorns when they're still warm. Key to the flavour.
5. Combine the remaining ingredients with the freshly ground ingredients.
6. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.
7. The quantities listed above makes over 2 cups of steak spice.