2 onions (2 or 3 medium, depending on how much you like onion)
3 clove garlic
1 can tomato sauce (213 ml)
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon mild chilli powder
2 cup red kidney beans (dry)
1 dried cillantro (or cillantro paste)
1 dash lime juice
1. Wash dry kidney beans. Let Kidney Beans soak overnight in 4 cups of water. Drain.
2. Cook kidney beans in 4 cups of water, for 1 hour until soft. Drain.
3. Mash red kidney beans using a food processor. Adjust thickness with very small amounts of water. You want a nice paste consistency.
4. Chop the onion and garlic into very small pieces. Saute in 4 tbsp of cooking oil, until onions are transparent. Be carefull not to burn garlic.
5. Add the tomato sauce, the cumin, and the chilli powder. Stir and let simmer for a minute.
6. Add your red kidney bean paste, stir well. Bring heat down to medium-low. Add cillantro and a few squirts of lime juice.
7. Heat for 3 minutes while constanly stirring. Use a bowl scraper to stir as the paste will stick to the sides or the pan easily.
8. Serve hot or refrigirate.
This recipe is great cold too. You can use it as a spread/dip with a vegetable platter.
Use canned beans for a quick version