1 pound white pea beans (dry)
2 onions (sliced)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
3 chipotle peppers (chopped and seeds removed...and as much adobo sauce as you can afford from the can!)
1 pound bacon (or 2 cups of pulled pork, chopped)
1. Place beans in large pot, add 4 cups of cold water. Let beans soak overnight.
2. Drain the beans and boil them for ~45, until desired softness. Beans take a long time to soften more when they are in the oven, so get this part right!
3. In a bean crock or casserole dish, place the onions
4. In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, molasses, salt, pepper, vinegar, sugar, mustard, BBQ sauce and chipotles.
5. Drain and rinse beans, put them in the crock.
6. Pour the ketchup mixture over the beans and stir gently. (Add bacon at this point, if not using pulled pork)
7. Add water till beans are covered and bake at 250 for 6 hours.
8. Remove one cup of beans and mash them in a bowl. Return to the beans and mix. (If not using bacon, add the pulled pork now)
9. Bake for another hour
10. remove lid to allow the beans to darken, for another hour
* Add water if the beans are getting dry, you wont dilute the taste (unless you add too much and make soup!)
* This takes time, but is VERY much worth it.
* Beware of the obvious side effects from eating too many beans. :-)
* I cook my beans on the Traeger, if I have the room.
* Chipotles bring nice warmth, but can be omitted without impacting the flavour of the beans.