6 potatoes (russet or Yukon gold are best)
1/2 cup fat (I usually use oil, but used duck fat last time)
1 tablespoon semolina
1 dash Salt (to taste)
1 dash Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 450
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks
3. Place a metal roasting tin in the oven and let it get very hot. Roasting tin needs to be large enough so that all potatoes are touching the bottom of the tin - don't overcrowd..
4. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes in a large pot
5. Add the fat to the roasting tin, and let it get very very hot - should be smoking slightly
6. Drain the potatoes completely, and leave them in the pot they were boiled in. Put the cover on the pot,and shake the pot so that the edges of the potatoes get a little bit bashed up, but you don't want to break the potatoes into small pieces
7. Sprinkle the semolina over the potatoes and then shake the pot a little bit more so that the potatoes are covered with semolina.
8. Gently transfer the potaotes into the metal roasting tin that contains the very hot oil
9. Cook for 50-60 minutes, turning the potatoes every 20 minutues or so to ensure they get crispy on all sides.
10. S&P as you see fit.
These were better when I used extra garlic