Pretty straightforward approach that Alton Brown published.
- 2 Steaks (Rib Steaks are my preferred)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Canola Oil
- Pan in the oven. Turn oven to 500
- Pan out of oven, onto burner on HIGH till smoking.
- Dry the steaks. Coat them in a thin layer of canola oil (I used Pam). Generous amount of salt, fresh cracked pepper.
- Steaks into the pan. 1 minute on each side.
- Into the oven for 90 seconds. Flip the steaks.
- 90 seconds later, out they go, onto a plate and into your face.
My first time, they were slightly overdone for me. I had them in the over for 2 minutes on each side...they weren't thick enough for that. These were only 1" thick...But I was struck at the strong beef taste. I usually smoke and/or grill over charcoal, and you forget how much those additions can mask the taste of the beef itself. This was so strong that the first bite was almost offputting. By the time I slwalled it though, I was sold. It's a great simple method that gave me a simple beefy and delicious steak.