2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup pancetta or bacon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 156 ml can of tomato paste
1 cup cream
1. Heat oil in a pan, add carrots, onion and celery.
2. As they warm up and sweat, add garlic.
3. cook for just long enough to soften, not to add any colour.
4. Add the meats and cook until pink is all gone.
5. Add the paste, wine and stock, bring to a boil.
6. Reduce to simmer, uncovered for one hour. Stir occasionally.
7. Stir in the cream, add S&P to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes.
* This is a good, basic sauce. Not really big on taste though...no seasonings afterall.
* Not sure about the wine, it left a strong taste. (I since reduced the wine to 1/2 a cup and increased the cream and broth)
* Was good on a thick pasta, might be good for a lasagna
* Original recipe is from here